As of September 27th 2020
Over the past couple of weekends, both the Alberta and Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Associations have met to discuss the recently started 2020-2021 season. We wanted to update you on the status of Calgary 5 events, along with a summary of provincial events (also check the recent letter shared from the Alberta 5 Pin Facebook page).
Updates on Postponed 2019-2020 Season Events:
Alberta 5 Pin Events (PROVINCIALS)
-Open Championship Provincials
-Hi-Lo Doubles Provincials
As per the Alberta 5 Pin Update from September 25th, both events have unfortunately now been cancelled, based on AHS guidelines and restrictions currently in place, and timelines needed to plan and run these events successfully. Elimination Ticket Raffle Draws for both events will still take place (as many tickets were already sold), and Alberta 5 looks to have those draws conducted before the end of the year, once all tickets are accounted for from all Zones.
Calgary Youth Bowling Series Event #4
Regrettably, the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers Association has decided that at this point in time, we will also look to cancel the postponed Event #4 of the Youth Bowling Series. A future update will be posted regarding the status of the series and how the 2019-2020 Series Championship standings will be determined.
2020-2021 Season Events
Based on the discussions from the Alberta 5 Pin meeting on September 19, and Calgary 5 Pin’s subsequent meeting, we are happy to announce that the below events will take place for this upcoming bowling season (pending any negative developments in the COVID-19 situation resulting in tighter AHS restrictions):
-Youth Challenge Championships
Some of these events will be subject to some modifications to comply with AHS restrictions, but we look forward to the running of these events this season. Watch for more details to be released for each event on our Facebook, Website, and at your Local Centre!
At this point in time, the Youth Bowling Series remains suspended in its current format, however we hope to be able to run one or two standalone Youth Cash Tournaments later in the season, stay tuned for more information.
The COVID-19 situation remains fluid and we encourage you to follow our Facebook page for all updated information. We are all glad to be back to league bowling this Fall, and know that some of the cancellations and event modifications are not ideal, but the safety of everyone is paramount in all decisions that have been made, and we look forward to hosting some great events this season for all our members.
Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association
About the Cal5PBA
Established in the mid-1970s and incorporated under the Society’s Act in 1991, the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association is a local non-profit volunteer organization committed to organizing and promoting recreational and competitive 5 pin bowling activities in Calgary and the surrounding area. As an affiliate of the Alberta 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association and the Canadian 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association, the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association acts is the local governing body for the sport of 5 pin bowling and qualifies bowlers for provincial events. The Calgary Zone consists of the City of Calgary, Airdrie, Banff, Cochrane and Okotoks and works in cooperation with 11 Bowl Alberta member centres; however, Alberta 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association membership is open to the general population. Programs are offered in 4 areas: youth, adults, seniors and special needs.
The Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association is committed to the Long Term Athlete Development Model and is a strong proponent of 5 pin bowling as a key opportunity to develop physical literacy; 5 pin bowling has been identified as an excellent way to develop balance and coordination and encourages cognitive and emotional development. Additionally, league and tournament experiences provide incredible opportunities to engage socially and build lifelong relationships within one’s community. Bowlers compete at appropriate levels throughout development and the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association is committed to providing NCCP certified coaches at all levels.
Now that you’ve decided to bowl in a league, what’s next? Join the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association! We offer many benefits to league bowlers across the city. These include:
- Free bowling – All Calgary 5 Pin members get 1 free game of open play bowling whenever 2 games are purchased (at participating Bowl Canada centres).
- Access to more tournaments – Calgary 5 Pin offers exclusive tournaments for all ages and skill levels.
- Prizes, awards, and pins – Calgary 5 Pin recognizes your accomplishments. Bowl a big game and you’ll recieve a certificate of accomplishment and a pin!
- Bowler of the Month – Calgary 5 Pin presents plaques to the male and female bowler whose averages improves the most in the months of January and February!
- Volunteer Opportunities – Volunteer at a fundraiser, tournament, or special event hosted by Calgary 5 Pin. It feels great to give back to the community and it looks great on a resume!
- Access to NCCP Certified Coaches – In cooperation with the Master Bowlers’ Association, Calgary 5 Pin provides its members with access to the best coaches in the province.
- The Option to Make Change Happen – Are you as passionate about bowling as we are? Through a democratic process, you can decide who represents you in the dealings of the sport. Through the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association, you can initiate and make changes happen in the sport of 5 pin bowling.