New for 2018-2019 Season!
Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association is pleased to announce a new competitive Youth Tournament Series with 4 events!
Series is open to all YBC Junior and Senior division bowlers.
Tentative Event Schedule
Event #1: Welcome Back Opener
- Sunday, October 28th, 2018
- Chinook Bowladrome
Event #2: Youth Challenge Warm-Up
- Saturday, November 17th, 2018
- Paradise Lanes
Event #3: Millennium Youth Classic
- Monday, December 31st, 2018
- Millennium Lanes, Okotoks
Event 4: Season End Wrap-Up
- Sunday, February 24th, 2019
- Toppler Bowl
Subject to change, watch for advertising posters for each event for more details
Youth Bowling Series Championships
Results in each event will count towars an aggregate championship
Four Series Champions will be awarded:
- Junior Scratch & Pins Over Average
- Senior Scratch & Pins Over Average
Your best 3 out of 4 events count for the Championship.
Playing all 4 events improves your chances of winning.
Each Champion will win their own personalized bowling shirt for the following season!
To view information on regarding event #1 click the link below!
Thank you for visiting the website of the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association. If this is your first time, then Welcome! If you are a regular bowler, then Thank you for your continued support of your local bowling centre and community.
Who We Are:
The Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association is a local non-profit volunteer organization committed to organizing and promoting recreational and competitive 5 pin bowling activities in Calgary and the surrounding communities. The Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association is a proud member and supporter of Sport Calgary and the ParticipACTION Network.
The association consists of 5 executive positions, and chairpersons for various tournaments and awards programs. Your executives for 2017 – 2018 are:
- President: Maria Wood
- 1st Vice President: Julie Morrison
- 2nd Vice President: Colin Chirstensen
- Treasurer: Eric Christensen
- Secretary: Melynda Bruneau
Everyone (league or public bowler) is able to join as a member of the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association to take advantage of a number of member benefits:
- Free bowling – All Calgary 5 Pin members get 1 free game of open play bowling whenever 2 games are purchased (at participating Bowl Canada centres).
- League Awards – Calgary 5 Pin Bowler’s Association recognizes your accomplishments. Bowl a big game and you’ll receive a certificate of accomplishment and a pin. We also present plaques to the male and female bowlers whose league average improves the most in the months of January and February!
- Tournaments – Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association offers members exclusive tournaments for all ages and skill levels. More details for each event are available on our website:
- Youth Challenge: Open to youth aged 13-18, zone qualifiers advancing to provincials
- Youth 175/225/250: Achievement event open to youth league bowlers aged 3-19
- Hi-Lo Doubles: Doubles teams compete through house, zone and provincial rounds
- POA Challenge: Pins over average event, qualifiers advancing to provincials/nationals
- Open Championships: Elite scratch event, qualifiers advancing to provincials/nationals
- Seniors Challenge: Mixed doubles, in house tournament for senior leagues
Looking for ways to get involved in the Calgary bowling community? The Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association is always looking for new volunteers for a number of different opportunities:
- Tournaments – We are always looking for volunteers to help run our many tournaments. From coordinating a tournament, to simply being there to lend a hand the day of the event, we can find a job for you to help out with.
- Board Members – Looking to have a say in how the association is run? All members are invited and able to attend our board meetings and Annual General Meeting. It’s a great way to learn more about the offerings of our association. Information about our board positions is available on the website.
- Casino Fundraising – The majority of the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association’s funding comes from the Provincial Government’s AGLC Charitable Gaming program. Casinos are divided into 4 quarters, and every 18 to 22 months, the association receives a casino date. A portion of the casino earnings are deposited into a pool which is then distributed to the groups which participated in that specific quarter. We are always in need of volunteers for this program, working the positions of Cashier, Banker, Chip Runner, or in the Count Room.
Are you interested in getting involved, or just looking for more information? Feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
You can also contact one of our executives through your bowling centre. Just give your name to the staff, and they will contact us.
Saturday, July 22
Boulder Creek Golf Course
Calgary 5 Pin is holding our first Golf Tournament on Saturday, July 22 at Boulder Creek Golf Course. Registration is $120/person.
We’re looking for hole sponsors, silent auction items and proximity gifts, if you wish to help or need a letter, please contact Sarah Simmons and she can send the letter over to you. Thank you!
A huge congratulations goes to Douglas McCannel, who was presented with the Toshi Tamagi Memorial Award this weekend. This award honours Toshiro Tamagi, who spent 30 years fundraising and volunteering for the Calgary 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association. Doug has been one of our most faithful volunteers and is always available when we need an extra body at the lanes.
The full list of past winners can be found here. Congratulations and thank you Doug!
Congratulations to the teams advancing to the POA Nationals after a hard fought tournament this weekend! Southern 2 will be representing Alberta as Team A and Calgary 1 (Glen Christensen, Tracey Messer, Deya Hartford, Lisa Calverley and coach Colin Christensen) will be Alberta Team B! Great bowling everyone!
The full results package can be found here (PDF).